Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

So Much Has Happened!


My last post, about cultural differences, is based on observations from when I arrived in Korea until now. 

On other note....  

...I was sent to the fifth largest city in Korea: the city of Daejeon about a week ago.  This city is also significantly focused on science (incredible for a science major!!)  There are 2 national parks, local nature parks, mountains, botanical gardens, hot springs, museums, amusement parks, delicious restaurants, and more exciting things in this city.  

I arrived in this city 2 Sundays ago, unpacked, did some shopping, planned for teaching, and began on Tuesday.  It was overwhelming at first but has slowly become much more comfortable.  Let me just say, the first week was intense!  There was much work to do in getting started, similar to many new jobs.  

The staff I work with are extremely helpful and friendly.  The students are such a delight to my day.  I have adults, middleschoolers, and young children.  We have fun in class together; there is lots of laughter and learning!  Each student is unique and contributes to the class in his or her own way.  Teachers are the 3rd most respected position in this country which I believe has contributed to the development of the classroom culture.  Another exciting thing is that I get to teach a middle school science debate class.  We discuss many controversial issues related to science in today's society.  I am thrilled to teach science; it was totally unexpected!  

In regards to fun physical activity there is a workout gym with a competitive swimming pool across the street from my apartment!!! I can swim for about $2.50 per session.  I'm looking forward to beginning.  Today I signed up for a gym membership that only cost 5,000won which is about $4.50!!  The facility is clean and is well equipped.  Bring on the exercise!  

Additionally, I am adjusting to the area and have been having a lot of fun!  The faith experiences have been wonderful and challenging at times!  We have staff worship every morning which unites us as a team of missionary teachers and draws us near to Christ. I get to be involved in so many faith leadership opportunities at the church which I am excited about. Furthermore, we pray together a lot!  God is good!  I am thankful for all the blessings.  



2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear how things are going! You are a much-prayed-for girl! Praise the Lord for what He is doing in and through and for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey !!
    Glad to see that you are adjusting and enjoying yourself. I think of you every day. I find myself always trying to figure out what time it is in Korea whenever I look at the clock. If there is no toilet paper in the washrooms what do you do? The Gardens look wonderful!!!! Be safe. Travel with someone.... the buddy system. There is safety in numbers!!! Hope you are taking your vitamins, eating well and getting your rest. I love you! KEEP IN TOUCH! Ant B.

    ReplyDelete