Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Different Is Normal

Heated floors, toilet paper can't be flushed in the toilets, sorting all garbage, bowing to people you know and those you meet, receiving all items with two hands, taking your shoes off inside many public places, and not tipping in a restaurant are just some of the cultural differences I have noticed during the short time that I have spent in South Korea.  These lifestyle characteristics are not bad but are completely normal to millions of residents. The normal way of doing things to Koreans is the different way of doing things according to Americans and the normal way of doing things to Americans is the different way according to Koreans.  However, different is normal.  Many of the differences that I have noticed are excellent ideas in my opinion!
Another thing that I noticed is different between Korea and the United States is how crossing the street works.  For many days I was very bothered when cars would not stop for me and other pedestrians to cross.  Car after car would drive by and I would get more and more frustrated.  The other day while I was walking around the city of Daejeon with my friend Laura she pointed out to me something she noticed.  She realized that pedestrians do not have the right of way in this country.  Cars have the right of way.  If you get this straight in your head then suddenly there are no more problems, that is other than crossing the street in a timely fashion.  You need to wait your turn, not expect to cross right away, and don't expect cars to stop for you.
With all of these changes and others I have accepted the differences, am doing my best to respect the lifestyle, and am trying to learn more about this wonderful new place!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you updating your journal. Looking forward to talking/Skipe with you.

    ReplyDelete