Monday, October 24, 2011
Am I Really in Korea?
Wow, so much has happened since I first arrived in South Korea. The days have been packed with fun activities, training, outings in the city of Seoul, worship services, teacher preparation, paperwork, and exploring. Checking out new places, seeing new things, hearing a new language, experiencing new (not always pleasant) smells, and tasting interesting new food has been quite the adventure! I have enjoyed meeting missionaries from all over the world and citizens of South Korea. Hearing about different cultures, lifestyles, and backgrounds has been challenging and exciting. Amongst the struggles and joys I have often had to deal with the reality of being in this foreign land. The first few days I would say at least once a day “I am really in Korea?” I would feel like I was just in a different part of the United States, not on the other side of the world. I have grown in my comfort level for the area that I am staying in, used the subway system a few times, ridden the city bus (which is an extremely popular way of traveling and pretty inexpensive), and communicated with people who understand very little English. I will continue to embrace the “newness” and learn how to live in this country!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awww....reading this brings back all the feelings I had when we first moved to Switzerland. The difference being I had 3 kids ages 5 and under to navigate around that new land! lol
ReplyDeleteSo awesome to hear you're settling in and starting to acclimate. Your happiness shines in this post.
Will keep you in my prayers! Enjoy those new smells. :)
<3
Ahhh, how I wish I could be there taking it all in with you! Post as often as you can...it makes it seem like you are not quite so far away! HUGS!
ReplyDeleteAwe! I cannot believe it either!! lol I am so proud of you! Can't wait to hear more. Love you!
ReplyDelete