After our weekend getaway in Busan, we came back to Daejeon for more unique adventures!
In Daejeon, my friends and students were so generous and helpful to my sister and I. They are always like that; however, I especially appreciated it during my sister's visit. My students Mimi and Young (those are their chosen English nicknames) took us to a traditional Korean restaurant and then to a mountain to see a Buddhist temple that they often travel to for worship and meditation. Both of these students are Buddhist, so they were able to explain many things to us about the temple and the religious practices.
This is a little street market on the way.
This is the first temple gate.
Here are guards that are supposed to keep evil spirits out of the temple area. The gate represents entering one level of heaven.
Now on the way, into the mountain, to the temple
The temple is in a mountain national park.
Chelsey took a picture of the bathroom (nice one, lol).
The beautiful ceiling
On the way back to my institute from the mountain temple we stopped at the National Cemetery.
In the cemetery there were war vessels.
After the visiting the cemetery, which was VERY impressive, we drove by the Wold Cup Stadium.
Another evening in Daejeon, my former student and current friend Susan took us out for a very nice dinner.
Chelsey and I were able to try a variety of Korean dishes. It was an adventurous experience.
My friend Terry, Chelsey, and I went to an International Food Fair in the city. At this event I had the opportunity to make my own kimchi! It was a fun time and now I have a better idea on how to make it myself in the future. We got to take our individual jar of kimchi home with us.
Chelly got to celebrate her birthday in KOREA!!! I had to work since it was on a Wednesday, so during my long break we went out hiking on Bowmunsan. "San" means mountain. We had a great time with really nice weather!
Approaching the highest peak
We reached the top!
Chelly was really excited to hug Buddha!
Trying yummy treats on the way down from the mountain
Later we went out to a place a little closer to home you could say: TGI Fridays!! We had a free dessert, similar to what they have back home. The restaurant, like usual, had a slight Korean twist.
For Chelly's gift, I got her an amazing, unique octopus pencil sharpener...
...teaching stickers with Korean language, and awesome smiley headphones!
The next day for my sister's birthday a group of us went out for lunch at the Shabu Well. Here you can see a buffet of raw meat and vegetables. At this restaurant you choose the ingredients you would like to add to your broth. You also choose spices and sauces to liven up the taste. Once you choose your selection, you go add it to the broth at your table. Oh and don't forget you can get as much as you want!! There are also other side dish items and desserts on the buffet. This was one of Chelsey's favorite places we visited and it is still one of mine!!
We had a really fun time!
Anne, a previous student and current friend, gave Chelsey an awesome t-shirt that says "Korea" written in Hangul, the Korean language. It was such a sweet present. :)
From the left, here is Pastor Bill, Teacher Sands, Teacher Daniel, Teacher Mia, and Pastor Doug with us on Chelsey's last day in Korea. I was very tired from a long amazing week filled with memories!
It was so wonderful to have this opportunity with my sister to spend 2 weeks in Korea together. I know she learned a lot, as did I. God blessed us greatly during the time and I am truly thankful. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment