The students learn skills such as how to listen to, question and respect other people's opinions, how to defend their own viewpoints, how to see many perspectives on issues, and how to write with proper English grammar. Gaining experience and knowledge in the subject areas, as well as in communication skills, the students can function in a global society. They will be effective communicators now and in their future.
I work as a team with one Korean teacher. I teach the first part of the class and she teaches the second part. With one of our Debater classes the Korean teacher and I prepared the students for a competition! We worked with them on the necessary skills and then we traveled to Seoul where the event was held.
10 teams participated. We had two teams of three students. They debated the following topics: Genetically Modified Food, Reunification of North and South Korea, and Euthanasia. These topics are very controversial. They are difficult for anyone to discuss.
After three rounds of debating, one of our teams won first place! It was a very exciting time! During the event I was "sitting on the edge of my seat." I felt like I was coaching swimming again. We were very excited for the students, especially since they have grown so much in their communication skills. Watch out for them later in life!!
Our team is on the left side of the picture
Teacher Mia and I
Our winning team!!
Our other team who participated and learned a lot!
How awesome that your team actually won! Congratulations to them :)
ReplyDeleteCongradulations to all ,Great job teacher Lindsey for helping to get them in the competition. And Wow, 1st. Place!
DeleteLove Dad