Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Wonderful Adult Students

During my time here in Korea I haven't shared much about my adult teaching experiences in my blog. It has been such a privilege and a blessing to me working with the students.  



In class we pray, discuss a Bible verse, do English drills, study English pronunciation, and practice conversation.  I truly enjoy helping the students with questions they have!  From time to time they ask me challenging questions for which I have to search for an answer. They have opened my mind in that English is a very difficult language to learn and often doesn't make the most sense.  I love varying my teaching style to help the students gain meaningful experiences in the classroom.  It is so rewarding working with them, helping them achieve their goals.  I love being able to be used by God to make a difference in their lives.  



I truly enjoy teaching and I didn't know I could like teaching adults so much!!  It is a pleasant experience to hear so many perspectives from people ranging from about age 18-65.  The students make me laugh and we hold good conversations.  They are very respectful and thoughtful!  They care so much about me.  When we have party days, they often bring all the food and then leave the remaining food for me to enjoy.  They care about my feelings and are concerned about my health.  They ask me all the time if I am cold when I don't wear a long sleeve shirt in the classroom during the winter.  When I am feeling a little under the weather, they suggest that I wear a scarf to keep my neck warm.  

Furthermore, I greatly appreciate what the students have taught me thus far.  I have learned so much about school systems in Korea, learning styles, family life, social customs, and more.  They come from all different family structures and religious backgrounds, so I can deepen my understanding in these areas.  Additionally, I have learned so much about myself!  I have noticed weaknesses, as well as strengths. 




The past term I taught level 6.  This is the highest level at the institute.  I really enjoyed teaching this level.  Their English skills are relatively advanced so I gave them different opportunities to use their language skills, preparing them to speak in a more global society.  


They participated in an online live webcam mock interview session with people from America.  They were able to practice their speaking skills, listening skills, and comprehension skills in a semi-formal environment.  They gained experience talking with a foreigner about important questions for the workplace as well as in life in general. 


This is the graduation ceremony! These are two of my students who completed the SDA English Language Program.



As their teacher I had to give a graduation speech to encourage the students and congratulate them on their accomplishments!





The students have given me new experiences and I'm thrilled to continue to grow!  God says, "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6 

4 comments:

  1. YOU MAKE US PROUD !

    lOVE DAD
    Love Mom
    Love Gramma's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Linnny! Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful you continue to make us Proud.

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete